Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A List

Throughout the last week, several IVs have been preparing to leave. Today, many have left camp for the last time, headed into Accra and will be on flights tonight heading home. Watching other people leave makes me wonder about how I will feel about leaving camp.

I believe I will miss the following things about living on camp when I leave in December (I'll have to come back and have a look at this list to see if I predicted correctly.):

Little kids running up to give me a bear hug while shouting, "Obruni!"

Listening to music all of the time. Everywhere you go on camp, even on a Sunday, you can hear the music. Hip-Hop, Celine Dion, Ghanian music and the like. I've heard the Back Street Boys and today I heard All-4-One. Gospel music abounds as well.

Hand in hand with the music: I will miss the dancing and the freedom to dance. People dance wherever they please. It is hard not to dance when music is filling the air. The teenie-tiny children even dance and dance well.

Greeting and being greeted by tons of people when walking down the street. People really acknowledge other people here. It is sort of the way I feel when I go to visit Grandma. Once you turn off of I-90 at Sprague, pretty much every single person will wave back at you if you lift a finger in salute. I love it. Similarly, people on camp tend to greet each other warmly.

The oranges. Anytime, any day I can walk out of my house and find an orange for 500 cedis. They peel off the outermost skin of the orange and cut off the very top. Then you drink the juice out of the fruit. The freshest squeezed orange juice ever. When you're done, just pop the orange carcass into the CBW bin nearest you...end of story. But what a beautiful story it is.

Living in a culture where it is acceptable, even desirable for a woman to have curves.

Excitment over a sport that I actually like, football. We are talking serious fans. Also, playing football with the kids and the people from CBW.

Church services with feeling!

Fried plantain and beans. The most comforting, delicious food in the world. I must make it for Joshua and friends when I return.

Interacting on a daily basis with people who have a very different story than my own. The open nature with which people are willing to share their story.

Press Club. Working with the children who will be the next wave of educated, interested Liberians. Yesterday, one press club-er showed up with an independent story in hand. She found the story and worked on a whole paragraph, on her own, and brought it in. That was a very rewarding and exciting moment!

The other IVs.

The list could go on, actually, but I am going to stop for now.

Good Day to All! I hope to post again soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bree! My name is Elizabeth Cronin. I am the current Marketing and Communications Intern at PPRSR-the University Site. Rick and Marsha let me know about your blog when you posted about the condoms you distributed!

Number One-I admire you! I think what you are doing is amazing, and I offer you praise and encouragement!

Number Two-Is there anything you want other PPRSR volunteers to know about what you're doing? We gave a link to your blog in the October issue of Volunteer Voice (with Marsha's okay). Now we're thinking a November update might be interesting if you have anything to report!

I know your internet time must be tight, but if you have any spare time and would like to drop a few lines, my email address is mcintern@pprsr.org.

Thanks!
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I usually e-mail you everything I want to say. But I decided to post to your blog. I am looking forward to having fried plantain and beans. I hope that you won't be so sick of it by the time you come home that you don't want to have it anymore.

You're always welcome to dance with me in the street. We'll just have to find some music. I can sing, of course, and that should be good enough to dance to.

I love you and I'll talk to you again soon.

Joshua

Rebekka P said...

i'm also down for dancing in the street. or in the grocery aisles, where music is provided for free.

Anonymous said...

Dear friend - -I have been thinking about you a lot. I am very well. It is now cold enough to wear a scarf and not yet cold enough for me to wish I was living in a more mild climate.

My parents and siblings were here three weeks ago for Amadeus. the show was wonderful. I have my oral defense on wednesday, and it should be fine. I am excited to see that you are dancing and enjoying the world you are working in. I am so proud and happy for you, and think of you very, very often.

I look forward to seeing you (and Joshua) in the nearer future.

much love and admiration --

peter (nash 602)

Anonymous said...

Bree:
I am catching up with you this evening. What an amazing adventure you are on. I look forward to the pictures and the stories when you return home. Hubbard, Skippy, Ranger, the newt, Woody, the boys, and I are all fine. Love ya! Judy E.