Thursday, October 12, 2006

Rain

Last night it rained in a way that I have not seen. I went outside because I could not help myself. I was completely soaked in a few seconds. Most people stayed under cover or indoors, but there were some little kids running around. It felt amazing. When I went back to the house I convinced two of my housemates to come out and play in the lovely weather. It was so refreshing to feel a bit chilly.

When I was a little girl and I was staying at my Dad's house in August, sometimes it would rain. Laura would tell me to run and get my swimsuit on and she and I would stand outside in the wet. When I went to Western the first time it rained I changed clothes, grabbed a friend and went to play in the rain. In Rochester, I had an amazing walk home from work last summer in the middle of a storm, laughing to myself. So now...I've played in the rain in Africa.

I'm leaving tomorrow for the weekend. It looks like it will be about six of us in our group this time. Much more manageable than 16. We are going to check out a wildlife monkey sanctuary near Ho. I think it is on the southern tip of Lake Volta for those of you who are interested. We are going to stay at Xofa, an eco lodge. www.xofa.org

For now I must go. More when I get back from my weekend off camp.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have always been fond of the rain. I'm glad that you are enjoying yourself more now. I really miss our random phone conversastions that never seemed to end. I'm really glad that you have become a sister that I can talk to about a lot of different things. I miss you tons, have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bree,
The rain sounds like the rain I met in Georgia last October. By the time I left we had a "lake front" house. You didn't need to take a shower in the house because when you stepped out and back in you had a shower. Kris is back in Washington now but the last day before she left we went to a beach and waved to you from it. Did you see us?
Love from your other mom

Rebekka P said...

are you also keeping a paper journal for yourself? this blog is great for those of us eagerly following your african adventures, but there will be so much that you might not want to share with the whole world. if you aren't keeping your own journal, i think you should! :-)

Anonymous said...

BreeBe,
I always loved the rain in Haiti! I am sure that the feel must be similar there. We would put our swimsuits on and grab the shampoo! Those showers beat bucket showers anyday. I am sorry this is the first note to you, but do know that I have been staying up to date with your days there. I love hearing you travel some of the roads I have been down. It is nice to hear your own unique moments as well. I love you and am thinking of you often! ~Sat