Sunday, October 08, 2006

Feeling Better

I am happy, (very, very happy) to report that I am feeling much better. I knew that I would freak out at some point after my arrival, my freak out just lasted longer than I was expecting. I can tell you the exact moment that I stopped being upset.

After posting my last entry, I was quite upset. I walked back to the house and was grateful to find Annie there. Everyone else was gone at a CBW party so we had some one on one time. Annie has so much experience traveling and she has an uncanny ability to tell things like they are. I cried and told her what was going on with me. The talk that she and I had lent a lot of perspective to my situation. By the end of the conversation, I thought that I was doing much better.

Then I decided to make some phone calls. I left messages for Leia and Joshua. Then I did what many people do when they are away from home and feeling upset. I called my Mom. As soon as she asked me how things were going, I started to cry. She and I spoke for 16 minutes. She was very encouraging and said some really nice things. When we got off the phone I was walking back to guest house #1 and the light bulb went on in my head. Seriously, it was like someone snapped their fingers and it occured to me: Get a grip, Bree. (I do actually have inner dialogue like this on certain occasions), crying and moaning on about how hard things are does absolutely nothing to make things better.

Now, just like that, I feel back to normal. Thank goodness, because the first week here was really rough. Just in time for my realization was the weekend.

Sidenote: [Thursday also proved interesting because I got to do some African cooking with some ladies who live on the camp and made strides towards making a new friend. Drew lives in our house, (the lone male among us...poor guy), and I had not spent any time with him prior to Thursday. We sat down on the front porch for a while on Thursday and talked about the camp, religion and politics. This is the first time that I've had a conversation like this since I have been to camp and I was extremely glad to discover another person who was interested in discussing topics that matter to me.]

This weekend our entire group when to Winneba. We stayed at a place called the Lagoon Lodge. It was beautiful. Nice beds and...(wait for it) running water! The rooms (which we shared, two people to a room) cost approx$12.50 per night. We stayed for two nights, so my portion of the room bill was $12.50. Crazy. A little slice of paradise yea but 5 minutes from a beautiful sandy beach. There is a fishing villiage near by so when you stand on this beach on a nice day, you see African fishing boats. I have always had a bit of a fascination with the ocean. I love to stand in the water and watch the horizon. I could happily do this for hours at a time.

One result of the tumult of feelings that I have been having is that I haven't really had the realization that I am in Africa. It is very different here, but that awestruck feeling about being half way around the world has been missing. The beach brought it home for me. Those boats were so beautiful. I love the ocean. I am in Africa.

Ok. I really feel like I scared everyone with my last post, but I just wanted to infuse some of how I was feeling at the time into the blog. I think that I will continue to have ups and downs as time goes on, but I do think that the worst of the emotional roller coasters (culture shock) may be over. Knock on wood.

More later, for now I need to go. Again, thank you so much for the encourageing words. I can't tell you how good it makes me feel.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bree Doll!!
Sooooooo very glad to read your latest blog and find out you are feeling better. Good-Good-Good!
Your weekend sounds like a nice break.
All well here. Tika enjoyed her campus visit and Dad and I enjoyed golfing.
Take care, continue your good works, and know we are thinking of you all the time.
Hugs and Kisses,
Mom, Dad, Tika (Cozmo says he would like to see the beach)

Anonymous said...

Hey Bree,
Kris, Chingy, Jasper, Roxy, China, and I all made it to Georgia!!!!!
We rolled into St Marys yesterday afternoon. Everyone was sooo glad to get out of the cab of that 24 foot Budget rent a truck. We unloaded today and kind of set up the living room. I'm glad you are doing well. I'll talk to you later.
Love,
The other Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi, Bree!
Well, our 3000 mile journey is over. I hope your journey is as fun...and we did have fun on our trek. You're doing pretty good with internet service, food to cook and a cabin to stay in. When they have to drop food out of airplanes, then you know your someplace maybe you don't want to be. Hope you can get some pictures. We would all like to join you on that beach, so take some time and watch the waves for each of us. Take care, Kris

Anonymous said...

Bree, you are one of my favorite people in the whole world. I can definitely picture you having said inner dialogue, and I'm glad your interlocutor was convincing!

Anna and I both miss you. Hey, guess what we did last night?! We saw Eddie Izzard do a show in downtown LA, and we were in the third row. We were seriously about 50 feet from him. It was most excellent.

Lots of love.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Bree! Talked to Joshua last night, he let me know you were feeling better.

This will be your first full week of your schedule with you fully engaged, I'm eager to hear some details about the actual work you're doing. Are you teaching the children in English? I guess by starting your day with garbage detail, you figured things would only get better after that? ;-)

Although I guess if you took time to write as much as I (we) want to read, you wouldn't have time to do your work. So, looking forward to lots of stories next January . . .

Anonymous said...

Bree,

I understand the feeling of being on an emotional roller-coaster ride very well! Sometimes I try to remind myself that without the extreme lows, we can't appreciate the highs. It's all about developing a unique sense of perspective, which is exactly what you are doing right now. I'm incredibly proud of you and your adventures! My mom just had a birthday on the 6th. She always asks me about you. Hugs across the miles from the Sullivan girls. BTW, I SUCK at Irish dancing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bree, glad to hear you're feeling better now... I hope it lasts for a long time! Leia