Sunday, October 01, 2006

Akwaaba

Akwaaba means that you are welcome. This word is all over the Accra airport. I've arrived!

The flight was fine and I met some nice passangers on my way. The camp is really interesting. Rows and rows of houses and stores. I'll post some pictures when I get my camera out. Since the first of the month is a Sunday our first day on camp is a vacation day. I exchanged my cash for cedis, went to a restaurant that makes a wonderful egg sandwich and found the internet cafe! There are two other new volunteers living in House #1 as well as a bushel of experienced volunteers. I haven't met the veterans but the other newbies are really very cool.

I attended a church service this morning at an Assembly of God church on the camp. An amazing experience! Bright colors as the women dress up in really nice African robes. Singing and dancing, the joy is contagious.

So far, I've taken a bucket shower (which was very refreshing!), slept under a mesquito net, (which is quite lovely-just pretend your in a little fort), eaten shortbread (our Sunday rations) and used a bucket flush toilet...uh, more on that later. Why oh why is it so hard to remember not the throw the toilet paper in the toilet. All in all I'm off to a good start.

The weather here today has been really nice. Cool with a nice breeze. I spoken with a couple of Liberians about the temperature today and they are cold! This leads me to believe that coming back to Rochester in the middle of winter will be quite rough. This is the last month of the rainy season and right now I can hear the downpour that started after we made it to the cafe.

Tomorrow is our first of two days of orientation. I am looking forward to finding out what I will be doing while I am here. I'm also looking forward to getting to work.

Stay tuned...next up: I have no idea. But I do have a teaser about Wednesday night activities, when an all star Liberian team (from the camp) takes on a Ghanaian team in a round of football! The Liberians are going to win, I can feel it!

9 comments:

Joshua said...

Good morning Bree! I'm glad to hear that you made it safely to Ghana and I'm looking forward to seeing more posts. I'll talk to you soon.

Love, Joshua

Anonymous said...

Yay, Bree! Your descriptions make me feel like I'm there . . . minus the mosquito netting and the buckets. Can't wait to hear what you'll be doing in your time there.
Marsha

Anonymous said...

Hi Bree Doll!
Glad to hear you've arrived safely. I can't imagine me doing the bucket flush. Can you?
It was fun reading what you have been up to so far! Keep us informed when you can.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hello Bree!

Very happy to see that you have arrived. Your descriptions are vivid and entertaining. You took me straight there and plopped me in the middle of an Assembly of God worship! What a blast! I look forward to reading more about your experiences. God keep you safe.

Much Love
Sherry Spencer

Anonymous said...

Bree,
We are so glad that you made it there safely! We miss you already. I had the same problem with the toilet paper when we were in mexico, it is hard to remember! I have enjoyed your blog so far, It is so interesting.

I am doing better than when you last saw me, I got a chest xray today though, and I am getting a cat scan tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

Have a good time! I am thinking about you!
Kate

Anonymous said...

Hey Bree! I know just how hard it is to remember not to throw the toilet paper in the toilet. That's what we had to do in Ecuador.... Anyways, have fun and keep posting. My Choir is going to be selling apple pies to help us get to New York.... I ALREADY SOLD ONE!!!! (We just found out about it today). Well, I have homework. g2g, Leia

Anonymous said...

Bree... I was thinking about you all weekend so I'm glad to be updated on all the news. Thanks! Take care. jee

Anonymous said...

Hey whats up Bree How you doing? Aunt peggy moved to Seattle a while ago to get closer to family and mom went on friday to visit. Im doing alright in school and pretty well in football to (our team is UNDEFEATED!!!!!! Oh well G2G (got to go) Watkins
Out.


garren

Anonymous said...

Hi Bree!
Glad you're enjoying your stay in Ghana. We met on the flight and had a long chat about what you should expect to see in Ghana. Nice to know its been good so far. I had a wonderful time myself with my family and friends. It was just that feeling of not having to speak to love ones on the phone but having them right around you.The experience was superfluous considering the fact that I had been away for so long.I have returned to England and already back to work.Just to let you know you are doing a mavelous job out there and you deserve a medal for it . Keep up with the good deeds. God bless. Gabriel