Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Toto, Have You Seen Kansas?

After my last post, I returned to my home and had a very rough evening.

Yesterday was much better and today has been better still. I feel as though I'm really beginning to settle in. My malaria pill makes me a bit nauseous right after I take it but I think that I have discovered how to minimize its negative effects.

Sleeping has still been coming easily to me, (knock on wood) and the toilet issues have been resolved. I'm even getting down the best strategy for a bucket shower. I draw a bucket of water and stick my head in it. This helps to conserve water and allows my hair to get really wet.

Alright on to more interesting things...

Victoria, the house #1 cook, is amazing. Breakfast consists largly of fresh, (that's right I said fresh) pineapple, poridge and hard boiled eggs or fried. Lunch changes daily based on a rotating 6 day menu. So far we've had delicious angle hair pasta and cabagge stew with rice. The same spices used in both dishes. Fresh bread is brought to the house daily. It doesn't taste like any bread I've had before and it is quite good. It actually has a bit of a citrus taste to it and looks like a long skinny hoggie roll. We fend for ourselves at dinner, constructing sandwiches out of veggies (brought daily) and boiled egg. We could also go to a restaurant, but all of us are trying to be good and conserve both money and food by eating in at night.

Eariler today I tried to call Joshua and was able to speak to him for one minute and thirteen seconds before the call cut out. It cost 4,000 cedis which is approx. 45 cents US. It was worth it!

Today we finished up orientation. We also had to sign up for the projects we would like to work on. After two weeks we will re-evaluate our schedule and decide if we want to change anything. Around 7am I will go around camp and empty garbage bins. At 9am I will go with the HIV/AIDS Outreach team to talk with people around camp about HIV. At 12:30pm I will work with a 6th grade english or science class until approx. 5pm. At 5pm I will teach a one hour computer class to grown ups. This is a full schedule and I imagine that I will end up scaling back a bit in a couple of weeks. For now it will allow me to get a good idea of four different departments. We shall see.

Tonight is a British Pub Quiz developed by a couple of IVs (International Volunteers) which will be held at a bar called "Holiday Feeling". We are all going to go.

My house consists of 7 people. A woman from England, a woman from Northern Ireland, an american man who's been living in Scotland for the last several years, a woman with dutch parents who grew up in Africa but finished her last two years of high school in Holland, another american woman who lives in Colorado and my roomate Hannah, from Australia. All in all quite a varied bunch. I really like all of my housemates so far and the vibe in our house is lovely as well. We have some pet mice and a resident spider of large porportion in the bathroom. I think I've decided to name the spider and keep him around. I am told that he sticks to the walls. He is very shy with humans and there are no bugs in the restroom.

I believe that several of us volunteers are going to Winneba for the weekend. We are renting rooms at a lovely hotel for about $6/person/night. It is right near a lovely beach. I'm pretty excited. I'll be taking my first trou-trou ride...more on that after I return.

In the meantime, I have accomplished a lot in the past couple of hours. I just purchased fabric and gave it to a taylor. He is going to make me a skirt for 40,000 cedis which is about $4.50. The fabric I purchased was 20,000 cedis so all in all the project is going to cost approx. $7.00.

Two funny things happened today:

1) I went to buy some flip flops but the shoe size is in the British fashion. When I told the lady that I was American (meaning to imply that I needed a shoes size translation) she directed me to bigger sandals.

2) The taylor first told me the skirt would be 50,000 cedis. I asked the taylor if, when I came to pick up the skirt, he could take it out (or in) for me if necessary. While I was talking to him he got this kind of funny knowing look on his face. Then I asked him how much it would be he said 40,000 cedis. I think he thought I was haggling with him.

My time is almost up at the computer cafe...must run!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bree,

I was surprised but very pleased that you have this tremendous opportunity in Africa. I have enjoyed your posts. Will you be able to do pix? What motivated you to do this?

I will keep you in my thoughts. I can hardly wait to read your next post!

Love you,
Aunt Kali

Anonymous said...

i haven't read your whole post yet, but i wanted to mention that another strategy for bucket-bathing is to squat. it helps the water distribute itself evenly over your body, conservative style.

-bekka

Anonymous said...

Hey Bree! That's pretty cool. I talked to Starla, the resident horse trainer in the Wentachee Valley (well, the only one I know of), and she said that Lottie and I are moving in the right direction. I hope to hear more about your trip soon. Keep updating!!! Love your-not-so-little little sis, Leia

Anonymous said...

Hi Bree,
Sounds like things are going well! We are really enjoying your posts. Spiders....(big spiders)...yikes!
Glad you got to talk to Joshua even if only for a short time.
Love Ya,
Mom, Dad, Tika

Anonymous said...

Hey Bree, I'm so stoked! Your mom sent a link to your blog. Africa huh? Good times... Well, I wish you the best of luck, health, and hapiness.

Your cous,

Ben

Anonymous said...

Bree,

I knew you'd make some great acquaintances in Africa right off the bat...it's just your nature! I miss your funny comments and quips around here in Roch-cha-cha, but it is clear to see that you are enjoying your new experiences. Let me know when you are ready for a "Mama Martie Care Package!" I'll be checking in to see how it is all going for you!

Hugs,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Hi Bree, it's a lovely windy, rainy, cool day in Rochester, I know you're missing it! Soon the leaves will all be down.

So, the majority of volunteers are women, or is that just your house? I can't wait to hear how the teaching goes, and if the stuff I sent with you will be useful. I'll bet Rick is waiting to hear too!

It's great that you have flexibility in your scheduling. It does sound like it's a whole city, so you have places to go that are a break from the work.

Take care,
Marsha

Anonymous said...

I guess you aren't living in "the house of truth and no spiders" anymore. But it can still be "the house of truth and one spider".

I hope you don't mind I forwarded the link to your blog to my family -- Staci is particularly interested because she is in the process of applying for the Peace Corps.

Lots of love.

Anonymous said...

I guess you aren't living in "the house of truth and no spiders" anymore. But it can still be "the house of truth and one spider".

I hope you don't mind I forwarded the link to your blog to my family -- Staci is particularly interested because she is in the process of applying for the Peace Corps.

Lots of love.

Anonymous said...

Bree!

Simply amazing.

I'm so glad to hear that you arrived safely and are doing well.

I told my class about you and your volunteering adventure. We're in the process of writing you a letter as a class. They seem very intrigued by what it would be like to be a kid in Africa.

Long distance high five!

Love,
Tara

Anonymous said...

Bree!

I am so excited for and proud of you.... what an amazing adventure, and learning place to follow a passion to involve yourself.

i love reading the updates... way to adjust to the toilet - that fascinated me when i realized you really can pour a bucket of water into the bowl and it won't overflow. the bucket showers are fun too - a cup is a great help for that process! :)

i miss you! I am so excited to keep hearing about it and talk to you when you return.

love you bree,

maya

(p.s. there was a commercial for save the last dance 2 yesterday - made me think of you and laugh - it just simply looks like it will not compare.)